OT-links checkers

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Oct 2 18:17:36 EDT 2004

I'm restructuring a 6 Gigabyte web site with 50,000 plus files of which
10,000 of these are .html or .shtml files.

GoLive's Site Manager  "dies" when trying to parse that many files to
build it's data base... well, not really.. it does it... but ... takes
50 minutes to "refresh" ! and actually begins to generate spurious
paths in it's in-and-out links dBase for the site. So despite all the
really cool features... I had to abandon it (sigh)

Fortunately (trumpets, drums), Revolution to the rescue!  Thanks to Ken
Ray's old recursive, walk directories scripts... has no problem digging
10,000 files -- open, read, perform surgery, save and close... 3
minutes.  ;-)

So all I *really* need out of GoLive's tool box is the ability to
return a list of all internal link errors. Creating a matrix of
(bad-URL &  tab & Good URL & cr ) and making all the changes in 10,000
files is "child's play" for Revolution... but... how to find out what
the broken links are...??

Has anyone written scripts that do this? Or know of any programs in the
public domain  that will do this kind of error checking? It could run
either on Mac OSX -- our production-staging server in Hawaii-- or be
installed in the Linux Redhat Distribution server in Connecticutt. I
would run it there, get the list fix them all here and mirror upload...
it's challenging with:

../../../images/color_alphabet/A.jpg

(as introduced by GoLive, used by some of out team)

while myself and our other code warriors who stay clear of WSYWIG and
all my Rev web generator RADs manually strive for absolute root
relative refs like

/images/color_alphabet/A.jpg

whenever possible. Of course one could just analyze the 404's on the
server over time and get them all, but this means a full clean up could
take weeks-months as the 404's trickle in.

btw... have been working with 2.5 now intensively for nearly two
months, all day long, doing this and that...with a little time out for
putting a magazine together...  I think I had 2-4 unexpectedly quits in
all that time... meanwhile, Apple mail.app and Adobe application go
down at a much more frequent rate = Rev is one of the most stable apps
running on OSX.

Congratulations to the Rev team for their focus on stability.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org