open printing with dialog -- Windows equiv?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 12:43:40 EST 2004

--- "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net> wrote:
> Works fine.  Now I have two more issues to deal
> with:
>
> I have a "preparing printout" type of window which
> is supposed to be
> displayed when processing starts for the printout.
> Basically, my code
> runs something like this:
>
> open stack "preparing printout"   -- no title bar or
> anything, just a
> simple window with some label fields
> open stack "printer stack"  -- hidden window in
> which the printout is
> prepared, format for printing set to true
>
> prepare the printout
> print the printout
>
> close stack "preparing printout"
>

> 1. The "preparing printout" stack is not displayed
> under Windows (works
> fine under OS X).  Note that the Print dialog is
> displayed after this
> (part of the "print the printout" step), and that is
> working fine now
> (thanks to the quoted thread), but my "please wait"
> type dialog never
> shows up under Windows.  Tested with WinXP, Win2K,
> and WinNT4.
>
> 2. No version of Windows prints correctly.  I get
> different results
> for each of the versions listed above.  Printing
> works fine under OS X.
>   As previously noted, "format for printing" is set
> to true.
>

> Under all versions of Windows, some images which I
> place into text
> fields using the imageSource property of a character
> has the original
> size of the image loaded into an image object,
> rather than the
> (reduced) size of the image object.  This is a
> problem, since the
> fields are resized by one of my handlers to
> accommodate the smaller
> size which the image objects are scaled to.  Mac OS
> X does the
> desirable thing, and uses the smaller size.  If this
> is a
> Windows-specific thing, I can resize the images
> manually with a
> painting program and provide lower-resolution images
> for use when
> printing from Windows, but given that the new images
> will be 8 pixels
> squared, they will be of rather poor quality when
> printing at a larger
> size (I print the card into a larger area on the
> page).  Obviously, I
> would prefer the higher resolution image in order to
> print a bit
> better.
>
> Note that one of these fields would have a single
> line of text and be
> half the size needed for the (oversized) image.
> Windows responds by
> placing the line of text at the bottom of the image.
>  Since I resize
> the field based on the formattedHeight, I would
> expect that the result
> would be a field large enough to accommodate this,
> [...]

Hi Frank,

The thing with formatForPrinting is that you shouldn't
change the content of the stack after setting this
property to true, or the formatting will be off.
So the best option is to set the data,; next you set
formatForPrinting false and then back to true ; next
you save the stack, close and reopen it ; and then
print it.
As for your 'preparing' stack not showing up : is it
possible you're running that part of the script inside
a lock/unlock screen pair ?

Jan Schenkel.

=====