Reusability: Importing existing stacks

Gordon gwalias-rev at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 19:19:45 EST 2004

Dear Revolutionaries

Thanks to those of you who offered such elegant
solutions to my last questions. There is clearly an
impressive pool of expertise on this list.

Sorry to keep harping on the reusability thing, but I
still have a question or two on reusing stacks in
other applications ...

Suppose I want to write e.g. a generic kind of stack
for entering and storing somebody's name, address and
contact details - exactly the kind of stack you could
imagine one might wish to use in a whole host of
business applications for example. Now supposing I
want to use that stack in my whizzy e-business app for
recording my client's details - is there some safe and
easy mechanism by which the main (container) app can
apprise itself of all the variables, functions etc. in
my name/address stack so that they are available
throughout the main app, or do I have to declare all
my name/address variables again as globals in my main
app?

It seems like this would be a very tedious and
uncertain way to combine stacks in a big, complex app,
since any stuff I forget to declare again (or mistype)
will be lost to the main app. That's why I'm sure that
the HyperCard brainiacs have already come up with a
way to do this that is way less moronic than I'm
proposing here. Yes?

Best

Gordon