Basic field word count question

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 14:46:44 EST 2004

--- "Salinas, Ruben (GE Healthcare)"
<Ruben.Salinas at med.ge.com> wrote:
> My apologies for the simplicity of the question, but
> I'm just starting out with RunRev. Question is, how
> should I create a field on a card that displays the
> word count on a second field where the user is
> writing text? I would like the first field (word
> count) to recalculate automatically every time field
> 2 content changes.
>
> Thanks in advance for the replies.
>
> Harvjag

Hi Harvjag,

If you only want it recalculated after all changes
have been made, you'll want to do it on closeField :
--
on closeField
  put the number of words of me into field "wordcount"

If you want it updated as soon as the user hits a key,
the quick and dirty method would be on rawKeyDown :
--
local tUpdateFlag

on rawKeyDown
  -- check if we haven't queued an update yet
  if tUpdateFlag is not "true" then
    send "UpdateWordCount" to me in 10 milliseconds
  end if
  -- let the event be handled the normal way
  pass rawKeyDown
end rawKeyDown

on UpdateWordCount
  put the number of words of me into field "wordcount"
  -- don't forget to update the internal flag
  put false into tUpdateFlag
end UpdateWordCount
--
The above method should cut down on the number of
updates, without the user noticing the delay.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Join us at the European Revolution Conference
November 14-16, MALTA. ~ http://TechieTours.com/Rev/

=====