return versus "\n"

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Nov 21 12:22:01 EST 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 9:40 AM, thierry wrote:

> So, what alternative do we have to define a string inside quotes
> so the local lToken = "aText\what2putHere" could work as the script
> above ?

There is a suggestion submitted to allow simplification of constant
expressions such as your first attempt.  I don't know of any effort
there.

The problem with the backslash in a constant or literal or local-init
is that it is just that, a backslash.  However it is translated in the
format function.  So you can do this:

           write format(ltoken)...

A special syntax note about format():  The parsing of a literal format
string allows backslash quoting of quotes in this context.

Dar