Revolution Comment

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Fri Nov 19 21:30:20 EST 2004

>>>Some people will love all the new features. Computer professionals,
>>>mostly, I'd guess. I'm kind of disappointed. Revolution is a Space
>>>Shuttle, and all I need is a hang glider. That's why HC was such a
>>>good thing for me in the first place. Why can't we have Revolution
>>>Lite, for morons like me?
>
>Tim
>My experience coming from Hypercard to Rev was completely the
>opposite.  I was awed by how easy it was for someone who knew HC to
>begin creating new stacks in Rev.  Within a day, I was happily
>creating new stacks and exploring how Rev worked.  And perhaps that
>explains why my experience was different from yours--rather than try
>to convert my old stacks, I simply started by creating new ones.
>
>The only thing I had trouble getting my head around was how to
>create HC-like backgrounds for cards. And, of course, the IDE takes
>a little getting used to.
>
>In any event, you might find life easier if you started by creating
>new stacks instead of trying to convert old ones.  Then, once you
>have the hang of it, you can try the conversions.  Worth considering
>anyway.
>
>HTH
>
>Marian

Hi Marian,

I appreciate your attempts to cheer me up, but I don't think you
understand my situation. Imagine ten stacks. Imagine one background
in one of those stacks. 111 background fields, 64 background buttons.
The bg script and stack script are full. Imagine one bg button whose
script contains 27000 characters. Not every background, button or
stack is that extreme, of course, but you get the idea.

No, I don't think I'll be re-writing from scratch.

I don't expect it will be horribly difficult, but I could be kissing
20 to 40 hours of discretionary time goodbye to make the conversion,
or lose a week's business income.

I understood that some conversions would be necessary. I had no idea
that Revolution would be so "feature rich." That makes my job
somewhat more difficult. Personally, I'd prefer the basic hyperCard
feature set transoportable to OS X and Windows XP. If I could add
additional features, at need, with drop-in externals or something
like that -- that would be cool. I guess the developers had a
different business plan.

Cheers,

Tim