Technical strike & bug 2341

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Nov 18 12:52:07 EST 2004

On Nov 18, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Derek Bump wrote:

>> Would it be possible to write your own geometry management code?  I
>> have found that to be the best thing for my apps.  In the amount of
>> time it looks like you have spent trying to get the GM to function for
>> you, you probably could have written the routines you need to do the
>> work with your own code.
>
> I agree.  I have a hard time trusting all of these "new" features in
> Rev, so I just stick to hard coding the handlers into my stacks and I
> really never have to worry about problems with the GM, or the
> Animation Builder, or the Image Library, so on and so forth.
>
> On top of that, when a user does resize something I take the
> opportunity to update the stack's internal preferences to save
> window/control positions for when the stack is used at a later time.

I think at this point, I will only allow myself to rely on the engine.
The engine has to be rock solid.  When a bug is found in the engine,
that must get fixed pronto.  All scriptable things I put on myself for
now.  Once Rev grows in maturity, the other scriptable features like
the GM will get more attention.

I have a handful of commercial apps that rely on the engine to perform
as expected.  And it does a very good job in my experience.  Sure there
are some things that need to be tweaked, but all in all, things just
work.  I would sure hate to see you stop using Rev Xavier because of
the GM.

This gets a bit off topic, but I view the Rev team as an extension to
my software company.  They are like a satellite company to me.  They
worry about all the low level stuff.  When I find an engine bug, I find
them to be super responsive.  I think they have a higher priority on
engine related bugs simply because it is the foundation of Rev.
Without a solid engine, everything else will tumble.  When the engine
is solid, you can pretty much handle the rest on your own (as long as
it is within the realm of what the engine can do).  2.5 feels real good
to me.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto