ERC Journal from Richard Gaskin

sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Thu Nov 18 01:27:42 EST 2004

[full web page with incriminating photos (some
which prove there is sunshine in Malta)
will follow in a couple of days. Here's the daily
text from Richard Gaskin. I'm running
off to track down the power supply that Frederic Rinaldi left plugged in at his
hotel room...photos later - Ciao]

ERC Journal, Day 0:  Arrival

Wow.  As soon as the plane breaks through the
clouds in its descent to the Malta airport, the
reason for Jim's affection for Malta is
immediately clear to me.  It is the
quintessential Mediterranean island, sun-bleached
stone and ancient cathedrals and all.

Jim greeted me at the airport and kindly offered
an espresso while we waited for David Cragg's
plane.  In a wonderful experience to be repeated
many times over the next 24 hours, I finally got
to meet one of the most famous members of the Rev
community.

It's almost always the case that the Revvers I
finally meet in person bear little resemblance to
how I imagine them from their posts to the list.
David is no exception:  for a guy who slugs it
out so well with the dark dragons of FTP error
code implementations as he does in libURL, I'd
almost expect him to swagger more than a cowboy.
But David is from Edinburgh, so he's merely
well-mannered. :)

Back at the hotel we met up with Frédéric
Rinaldi, and the three of us took a cap to a
restaurant with a good reputation just around the
other side of St. George's Bay.  The waiter was
very personable, and we were glad we gambled on
the Maltese Merlot -- even ordered a second
bottle before the meal was done.

ERC Journal Day 1:  Reception

Sunday,  14 November

The introductions were a wonderful surprise:  we
have people here from more than a dozen countries
across three continents.  But perhaps most
surprising were the number of attendees -- maybe
as many as five or six -- who were willing to
come here with no previous Revolution experience:
they had heard about it, and so wanted to learn
more they made the effort to be here. Some of
these people have some very interesting technical
challenges they're hoping to solve, with a lot of
interest in Rev's database connectivity.
Fortunately Rev seems up to the task for all of
them.

Kevin Miller's keynote was a great way to kick
off the Conference.  He outlined accomplishments
of the last year, with the release of versions
2.2 and 2.5, and hinted at some future goodies
coming down the road. While all of us were
forbidden from sharing some of the specifics of
his future plans for Run Rev, I can say this:
For all those who had to listen to my whingeing
about Bugzilla #624 during the Monterrey Rev
Summit this last summer, it seems Kevin is taking
an interested in better support for making
drawing apps -- and a whole lot more.

After the keynote we enjoyed cocktails and
talked, and I don't know if I can express just
how delightful it was to finally meet folks like
Graham Samual, Monte Brille, Klaus Major, and all
the rest in person.  Such wonderful discussion on
everything from life in Malta to current projects
and of course our favorite Bugzilla entries. ;)
It was too bad many of us had jet lag -- the
shuttle to return to the hotel came far too
early, though at least for myself I can say the
rest was needed.

ERC Journal Day 2:

Malte Brill started the day with a good overview
of Rev basics for all the newcomers here, from
buttons to players and the message path.

Once the basics were covered he showed us the
more exotic stuff: his new multimedia library,
which rocks. You may have seen it in revOnline,
and on the preview page for the ERC.   There's
more to the library than I can cover here, but in
brief it provides handy handlers for managing the
movement of objects, but via script and
constrained responses to mouse drags.  Really
nice stuff, and the demo stack for the library,
like all of Malte's work, is very graphically
pleasing.  He covered the elliptical movement
algorithms today, and we're all looking forward
to his session tomorrow on path-based movement.

After a brief coffee break (one thing I like
about Europe is that no one asks if you want
decaf) Klaus Major began his session on
algorithms. His was a very interesting approach,
introducing algorithm design with the admonition
that too often people solve problems by thinking
about them in unnecessarily complex terms.  The
goal for his session was to craft a simple
implementation of the classic Memory Game.

We've all played Memory, the game of matching
tile images, but certainly for myself my
familiarity with it as a user has me taking it
for granted to the point that I'm rather cloudy
in imagine how I would sort out building it.
Thankfully Klaus is here to show the way.

The first of his session took place away from the
computer, discussing the steps we might use if we
were to build such a game in the physical world.
Once we had sorted out the basic steps needed to
build the game, Klaus went to the computer and
created an implementation of Memory from scratch,
with scalable functions that work well with, as
he says, "any number of tiles from two to twenty
thousand."  Klaus' style uses friendly and clear
names for handlers that make it easy to determine
the handler's scope:  the handler that responds
to mouse clicks is named "hasBeenClicked", and it
calls a routine to do check the result named
"elChecko".

What could well have been sloppy, verbose code in
my hands was delivered by Klaus in just a few
lines, well-crafted because they take strong
advantage of Revs' ability to let you focus on
the human-logic side of things more than
lower-level bit-counting.

After a brief break, Klaus dropped into a cabaret
act:  a monologue from "the engine", a sometimes
petulant 14-year-old who notes wryly, "Scott
Raney is my father, but my mother is unknown."
When Mssr. N. Gene receives a message, he needs
to find the proper recipient, checking in first
with the irate Italian Mr. FronteScripte, and
working his was back to two Dutchmen both named
Grouppe but one with a tatoo'd checkmark for "bad
behavior", at last completing the journey with an
old German general named Heinrich Backscrippt who
can't understand the message because of a mildly
risque language translation issue.