Windows: Natively playable media

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Nov 14 13:54:46 EST 2004

This is not true for wav files. rev and mc will not play a wav file in
a player w/o qt installed. Doc eludes to the possibility this should
work, but does not work with a player (will with mci strings, but not a
simple player call). I didn't try mp3 files, though, when i was trying
to get a non qt windows app play a sound file (had lots of them so
couldn't embed them all).

the big tip off on windows to see if mc has loaded and is using qt to
play a media file is that the controller bar will be show (if that prop
is true). even if you turn off qt in mc or rev, if you fiddle a while
with players it will sometime get loaded and things start working. you
get very happy and think you have the solution, but alas, its just that
qt got reloaded and rev or mc is using it... only way to safely check
this out is to work on a machine you have stripped qt from (luckly it
does remove and reinstall pretty nicely on xp at least).

best of luck. i wish there was a way to do at least sounds easily using
the player on windows, some apps i do dont use video, but need some
sound files played and i cant embed them and i requiring windows users
to load qt is not possible with some clients (their it controls all
installations and doesnt like anything like apple software on a windows
machine -- yes they think apples are nothing but hand held calculators)
and others just dont want to trouble with it...

cheers,

jeff

Jeffrey Reynolds
6620 Michaels Dr