How to use sockets?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Nov 10 09:31:30 EST 2004

On Nov 10 2004, at 12:42, thierry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> BvG> On Nov 07 2004, at 23:46, DJ Grumble wrote:
>
> BvG> note: this is the hard way, with datagramm sockets its way
> simpler, but
> BvG> that's the way i would do it :)
>

> out of curiosity :-) what would be simpler with Datagramm ?????

With datagram sockets you don't need to care about delimiters, also the
connection scheme is simpler, as you normally don't use as much
callback messages:

--server button:
on mouseUp
   accept datagram connections on port 8181 with message "Connected"
   close socket theIP
end mouseUp

on connected theIP theMessage
   put theMessage after field "Your field here"
end connected

--client field:
on returnInField
   open datagram socket to "localhost:8181"
   write the text of me & return to socket "localhost:8181"
   close socket "localhost:8181"
end returnInField

> otherwise, can someone tell me the pros and cons of communicating
> between revolution and an outside program using "the open process"
> versus
> open socket
> ( the outside program reads few properties
> from revolution during the execution and then write to some others...
> )
>
> please, nothing to do with the shell() command.
>
> the environment is Win98, NT and XP

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.cjb.net:8080

Chat with other RunRev developers: