time problems with daylight saving

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Nov 8 22:36:09 EST 2004

In case anyone else is struggling with a similar problem, here is my
workaround. I have written a routine which uses the AppleScript "time
to GMT" to get the time difference, then I use "the internet time" to
get the current time zone. The difference between these two is the
daylight savings period. I convert this to seconds and when emailing
time-stamped reports to another time zone, I apply the difference. I
haven't finished all my tests but so far it's looking good.

Here is my function for getting the number of seconds of daylight
savings time. Since this only seems to be an OS X problem, it doesn't
matter that it relies on AppleScript.

function DSTseconds
   -- get current time zone & convert to decimal hours
   -- e.g. +0930 becomes 9.5
   put the internet date into tNow
   put last word of tNow into tZone
   replace "+" with empty in tZone
   put char -2 to -1 of tZone into tMins
   delete char -2 to -1 of tZone
   add tMins / 60 to tZone
   -- use AppleScript to get the current number of seconds between
   -- this computer's time & GMT, and convert to hours
   put "tell application " & quote & "Finder" & quote & "" & cr \
       & "return time to GMT" & cr & "end tell" into tScript
   do tScript as AppleScript
   put the result / 3600 into tDiff
   put (tDiff - tZone) * 3600 into tDST
   return tDST