Detect PPPoE vs. DHCP

Frank Engel fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Nov 8 15:36:17 EST 2004

Y?

Actually, DHCP and PPPoE are completely different types of protocols;
both could theoretically be used together.  DHCP is basically a way to
get an IP address for yourself (along with info such as DNS addresses,
default router, etc.) over an existing IP network.  PPPoE is a way to
bridge two separate networks across a third network, without allowing
that third network access to either of the other two.  These are
completely different things, so I fail to understand what you are
trying to determine here?