How to use sockets?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Nov 7 18:58:37 EST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 8:46 PM, DJ Grumble wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make a simple chat client, however, I can't seem to get
> the socket scripts to work. Can anyone provide a quick sample script
> for sending the contents of a field (for the sender) and recieving the
> contents of a field (for the reciever?) I must be doing something
> wrong because I've read the docs 100 times.
>
> thanks
> grumble

DJ Grumble,

get ChatRev from Bjornke at http://chatrev.cjb.net:8080/
there show very good example of socket handling.

You should look for the accept connections command, this will "setup" a
server. I'll try a little script here, just to demo.... put all inside
a button, click the button.

------ Cut Here -----

on mouseUp
setupServer
end mouseUp

on setupServer
   accept connections on port 8088 with message "newConnection"
   wait 1 sec
   revGoUrl "localhost:8088"
end setupServer

on newConnection theConnectionSocket
   read from socket theConnectionSocket with message "finishedReading"
end newConnection

on finishedReading theConnectionSocket, theContent
   put theContent
   write format("HTTP/1.0 200 OK\nContent-Type: text/plain\n\nHello
World\n") to socket theConnectionSocket
   close socket theConnectionSocket
end finishedReading

------ Cut Here -----

If this work (I am writing this as I write the email) you should have a
silly as hell Hello World HTTP Server running, also on your message box
you'll be able to see a nice HTTP Get Request. This should show how to
open, accept and handle a simple connection.

PS: this example is not full HTTP 1.0 compliant, I did not include
Content-Lenght nor Date headers... but I don't think your browser will
complain.

Cheers
andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004