compress/decompress on OS X

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Nov 3 10:58:20 EST 2004

Rob,

I would not trust Rev to compress a MacOS X app. The app can be a
bundle, it can have strange resource forks... there are many issues. I
would applescript the compression using stuffit or another alternative.
There are some cool macintosh utilities that come bundled in macos x
that can compress/decompress apps, they should all be accessible by
applescript or shell() command.... it's not pure transcript haven but
it will solve your problem I think.

Also, I think that some way back Richard or Chipp create a
compressin/decomprerssion utility stack in rev... search the archives.

Andre

On Nov 3, 2004, at 1:49 PM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> I've been looking through the archives, and it's sounding to me like
> there is
> an issue with compression/decompression in Rev, but only in Mac OS X.
> think I'm now witnessing this firsthand:
>
> 1)   put compress(URL "binfile://InstallAIM") into URL
> "binfile://InstallAIM4.7.gz"
>
> This compresses the original "InstallAIM4.7" file from 3,559,694 bytes
> 3,098,808 bytes (.gz file)
>
> 2)  put decompress(URL "binfile://InstallAIM4.7.gz") into URL
> "binfile://InstallAIMresult"
>
> This then takes that .gz file and decompresses it back to
> "InstallAIMresult",
> which is 3,367,676 bytes.
>

> It appears that what's going in is not what's coming out.   Should I
> be doing
> something else to this file before compressing it to make this work?
> Are OS
> X apps "special" in some way?

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL