IDE Interference (not just a another rant)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 03:39:34 EDT 2004

--- xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:
[snip]

> >> Should the suspendstack be sent to the stack each
> time you edit an
> >> object causing a save? One missing feature (no
> blame anywhere) is
> >> the function
> stackwaschangedsincelastsave()=true|false... The
> other
> >> is that the suspendstack should be ignored while
> in the GUI design
> >> mode of RR...
>
> >Yes, of course it should be sent. That's how the
> message is defined.
> >Nobody said to put a save handler in there!
>
> You didn't get my point. But if I want a
> suspendstack event, it's my
> business
> to have one as it is a feature. The point is that
> when you are in an IDE,
> the IDE
> messaging should NOT interfere with your
> applications' events. When I
> choose a different tool, go to the message or to set
> an object's
> properties
> via the pallete, I am NOT leaving my application...
> In RR's case, it is...

Hi Xavier,

I would say Revolution is not to blame ; it's not
their fault that clicking in a palette means that your
stack is suspended and the palette receives a
resumeStack message : it's the engine that is doing
that, and for good reason.
How else would you intercept certain events in palette
stacks, to do preparation work _before_ the mouse hits
the button ? In HC this didn't happen because a stack
was topLevel, period -- anything else such as lmodal,
modeless palete had to be dealt with via externals.
If you are convinced that suspending your stack and
resuming the palette is bad behaviour, then by all
means use Bugzilla and rally votes on the mailing
lists.
But before you do so, please think about why this was
setup that way : so that developers who switch from
topLevel to modeless or palette would consistently
receive the same set of messages.
And if you still think it is a problem, please provide
an alternative method for those who need to trap the
resumeStack message in their palettes.
While I realise that you were confronted with a bug in
the engine concerning images in htmlText, the fact
that your own solution has a downside is not the fault
of the engine, IMHO.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====