(counting tabbed items)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 26 01:34:53 EDT 2004

On 5/25/04 10:19 AM, rand valentine wrote:

>   Thank you for your comment and clarification... could you clarify a bit
> more if you have a moment -- when you write "forcing the compiler to parse
> the tabs," what do you mean exactly -- I'm a linguist, so I know what
> parsing is :-), but I'm not quite clear as to its meaning here.

My language probably wasn't very exact. What I meant was, there needs to
be a way for the compiler to recognize that the word "tab" is not a
string of characters but rather the tab constant. It usually does this
automatically, but when you use the concatenation character "&", the
engine may assume that the word "tab" is an unquoted string of
characters that you are trying to concatenate. Since parentheses force
an evaluation of whatever is between them, putting parentheses around
the phrase causes the compiler to recognize "tab" as a constant because
it evaluates each part of the content before doing anything else with it.

(Re-reading that, I'm not sure I explained it any more clearly. Maybe
someone who hasn't been so sleep deprived can explain it better.)

>   Also, when you write "evaluate the constants first," what are the
> constants and what are not?

Revolution has several pre-defined contstants; words that can be used in
scripts to represent certain standard values. "Tab" is one of those. So
are: space, colon, comma, cr, slash, and a bunch of others, including
all number names between one and ten, and various cursor types, among
others. See the entry in the dictionary for "constantNames" to get a
whole list. There's a bunch. You can use constants in scripts instead of
typing their actual values. That is, you can use "10" or "ten"
interchangeably; "ten" is the constant. Ditto, "cross" is the constant
for the cursor with the value of 7.

You can define your own custom constants in your scripts too.

>   And now for a more useful question for my purposes -- say I have a
> tab-delimited string -- if i want to grab the third item from the end, even
> if the last two are empty, I _know_ I can't code:
>
>   (set the itemDelimiter to tab)...
>
>   put item -3 of myLine
>
>   but could I be absolutely certain of getting the right item if I coded
>
>  put item -3 of "(" & myLine & ")"

No, because no matter how you code it, the third item from the end is
only going to count backward from the total number of items. Rev removes
trailing delimiters from the end of the list (that is, the trailing tab
that delimits an empty last item) so your list will always end up with
one less item in it if the last one is empty. Your best bet is to count
from the front. ;)