QuickTime capabilities question

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 21 16:52:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:47:10 -0700 (PDT), Erik Hansen
<erikhans08 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- Graham Samuel <graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr>
>wrote:
> > I found out that you can't force
> > Windows users to install QT, but that's
> > another story...
>
>so what do you use, Windows Media Player?
>
>brimming with curiosity,

Hi Erik

Well, for one reason and another (like I had lots of trouble with Animated
GIFs, and since I develop cross-platform apps I could hardly expect Mac
users to use WMP, even though it is available on the Mac platform), I opted
for a 'grow your own' solution, with generous help from this list.
Basically, my 'movies' are just sequences of images shown via the
button-icon mechanism of RunRev, and the accompanying sounds are .wav files
which can be played as audioclips, looping along with the movies. Once I'd
read Dar Scott's message path tutorial, I found it pretty easy to run my
animations forwards and backwards at different speeds, and to run more than
one simultaneously (all stuff I needed); the sounds OTOH were rather
tedious, since if for example I have a bell ringing and want to slow it
down, I want the ringing to go more slowly and sound a deeper note, as
would happen if a real electric bell was running out of juice. This is easy
with QT, but with my method I just have to have a different .wav file for
each required speed. I don't think WMP would have been any better on sound,
BTW.

Doubtless this approach wouldn't work with real movies - i.e. films with
lots of photographic-style frames and the need for clever codecs and
completely synched sound, but in my rather narrow case it works really well
- and since I gave up the animated GIFs, the app has got smaller, too.

HTH

Graham