How to ..Kiosk Application

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue May 18 20:53:37 EDT 2004

First off - there is basically very little difference between a kiosk
app and any other. The main thing to keep in mind is that the buttons
and list fields must be large enough to be operated with a finger
instead of the more precise mouse. After that, you need to make sure
the app takes up the full screen, doesn't show any menus and always
stays at the front.

The second issue deals with your actual program design. I am guessing
we are talking about a networked system that transfers the orders
automatically to the kitchen and to a billing system. You can use an
SQL database for sure, but given the relatively low amount of data
contained in a restaurant menu, I would think you could just use a
stack as your data storage. The structure of the data needs to be
considered before you do much about the interface.

Once you have your data structure, then you need to write several
different applications to use it: the kiosk module for customers to
place orders, the editing module for the owner to change the menu and
presumably some sort of display module for the kitchen staff as well as
a billing module for when they actually need to pay for their meal.
Each of these will need to connect to the menu data and each order will
need to be stored, at least until it has been filled & paid for.

This sounds like quite a complex exercise, but nothing in it is beyond
the scope of Revolution, so work out what data you need and how to
store it, then take one module at a time and make it work. After that
start bringing them together and debugging the communications.

Cheers,
Sarah