How to ..Kiosk Application

cteno4 cteno4 at earthlink.net
Thu May 13 20:28:31 EDT 2004

hershrev,

well youve asked for a tall order here (pun intended). this sounds like a
pretty complex little project you have got. its hard for the list to give
a lot of advice on this grand scale of project design. some ideas:

your buttons in your colums can all be created on the fly or as a preset
grid of buttons that you just set the labels on and hide and show as
needed. labels can be set from a predetermined lists.

you can then have the owner modify the list with the new items from
another screen with a touch keyboard an a create new category buttons to
create each type. after creating a new item they will have to then link
it to whatever other pieces that may be necessary (ie the side dishes
that go with it) and the prices.

i have done the above with several slide show presentation programs (from
video discs and dvds) and it has worked well.

as for the sql i suppose you can set you sql up in a modular fashon that
could key off the items list  items names. not sure what you need to do
with the sql, will this be doing order delivery via the net or just
reporting orders back to a central data base, or taking orders via the
web?

remeber you have to keep your touch screen buttons large enough for
pudgie fingers to hit w/o hitting the neighboring button. test this well,
it can cause a lot of errors.

cheers,

jeff

use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote on 5/10/04 8:57 AM

>Hello every body ,
>I'd need some elaboration on how to build a Kiosk solution. (for a
>touch screen. There was a discussion perviously on this topic but just
>the start.)
>The solution I'm targeting for is a take out (restaurant). A bit of
>detail , the owner must be able to add categories and  menu items or
>delete.
>The screen should have 3 columns, 1, categories  i.e. main dish, side
>dish , beverages, deserts and so on.
>The 2nd column should display all detail menus of the selected category
>of column 1, meaning , while category main dish is selected it should
>display chicken, beef, duck and so on in column 2 and while touching
>lets say the side dish it should display  all side dishes. In column 3
>in a list field it should display the item and  the price of the
>selected item line by line as a list.
>Now the question how do I build the screen to change the view as above
>create new items etc.? How do structure the layouts the buttons
>how do I build them and how do I save them and how do I attach the SQL
>to them in a way it should  be possible for a owner to do it without
>help?
>Thanks very much , every bit info helps.
>hershrev

Jeffrey H. Reynolds
6620 Michaels Dr.
Bethesda, MD  20817