Message timing problem (was: Re: Can I alter the frame rate of an animated GIF by script?)

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 13 12:45:00 EDT 2004

I reported that doing an animation using messages of the form

  send "showNextFrame" to me in 150 milliseconds

seemed to result in faster execution than I had asked for (it is quite easy
to see this happening on the screen). I've now looked at the
pendingMessages during one of these overspeed episodes of the animation and
I find that the messages are scheduled between 3 and 20 milliseconds apart!

I dimly see that I may somehow have activated more than one instance of my
showNextFrame handler in some strange way - this is the only way I can
imagine the pendingMessages getting closer together than 0.15 seconds; but
I still badly need suggestions of what I can have done wrong, and if I have
called the handler more frequently than my required interval, how I could
program the handler to reject these additional calls.

TIA

Graham