Web links in software

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Wed May 12 10:01:27 EDT 2004

On May 11, 2004, at 10:15 PM, curry wrote:

> Does anyone know whether permission is needed from a web page owner to
> put a URL link to that page in a software application? (Similar to the
> way a link is placed on the internet?)

Considering that Google and other search engines link to web pages all
the time w/o permission, and that in print material, references to
other books are done without "permission" I don't believe this will be
a problem. Referencing another work does not require permission.
Displaying the link *content* in your own web page (or software) is
another issue. Remember how Dilbert ended up using a real-time
generated URL reference so people wouldn't be able to simply reference
the daily strip and show it in their own web pages?

Regards,

Howard Bornstein