Creating bulletin boards, chat rooms, and mail messages wihtRR/MC and CGI

Doug Lerner doug at webcrossing.com
Mon May 10 19:46:01 EDT 2004

My suggestion is to just use Web Crossing - http://webcrossing.com.

Yes, I speak as someone who works for Web Crossing, so I am not an unbiased
observer.

But there are incredibly low-cost Web Crossing solutions that make it
worthwhile to consider, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Plus WebX (Web Crossing) works great with Revolution, and is just as
cross-platform. I even have an alpha version of an IM/Whiteboard working
with a Revolution client and Web Crossing server as the backend. You can
read about that project at http://webxedu.com/WebXClient/.

The nice thing is you start with the following completely free, all built-in
to Web Crossing - including a native, object-oriented database and
integrated user directory:

    * web server
    * ftp server
    * SMTP/POP3/IMAP server
    * themes
    * scalable chat/live events server built in!
    * news server
    * xml-rpc support
    * server-side scripting
    * distributed and mirrored serving for large-scaling

and then you can add in whatever bulletin board, blog, polls, classrooms,
wiki, neuron (multimedia shared databases), etc., that you want to the
system.

It's perfect for Revolution-based clients.

doug