Can I alter the frame rate of an animated GIF by script?

Malte Brill malte.brill at t-online.de
Mon May 10 17:05:21 EDT 2004

Hi,

Graham Samuel wrote:

>Folks, I'm struggling with animated GIFs again - they can behave strangely
>in earlier versions of Windows (like ME); and even with Windos XP,
>sometimes starting one animation (showing in a button with the GIF as an
>icon) can stop an animation already running in another button... anyway I'm
>trying all sorts of workarounds to these problems,
Is the .gif on another card? I have experienced problems when the -gif was
not on the same card.

>and it occurs to me that
>I could reduce the number of animated GIFs in my app (which might be a
>cause of these difficulties) if I could change the frame rate of an
>animated GIF on the fly. So far I haven't found anything in the
>documentation about this: can anyone say if it's possible and if so, how to
>do it?

I have been playing with creating .png animations. You could use a button
with different .png (or gif if you wish) images. Set the icon of the button
with a handler that calls itself in a period of time (send animateMe to me
in ... milliseconds.) I use .png instead of gifs, because they display
smoother than gifs (there might be a pixely border around the gif. this
technique allows very flexible animations.
It´s more work than using an animated gif, but much more flexible...

Best,

Malte