Data Protection

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 16:41:33 EDT 2004

on Sun, 9 May 2004
Pierre Sahores wrote in response to Alejandro Tejada:

> > Pierre, you work in the Linux platform, where
> > these kind of memory dump tools are common.

> 100% true ! It's why is it's always a very bad idea
> to use only one
> scheme to protect a program against unauthorised
> use, copy,
> duplication, etc...

I've tried unsuccefully to make a stack to run
only in a single machine. When opened, it checks the
hard disk serial number and the MAC address of the
machine where it was installed and compare it with
same data from the machine where it's running.
These handlers are from the Ken's Ray website.

I have put this handler in a preopenstack that must
answer "Stack not authorized to run in this machine!"
with "OK, Quit now". But, i'm not getting the answer
dialog when opening the stack...

Any help to make this simple protection scheme
workable is welcome.

> > Could you make a small test with a password
> > protected
> > stack and another unprotected, in the next
> > weekend?

> Unneeded, as long as we are ok with the fact that we
> need to use a
> multiple encryptation states and protocols method to
> set-up a real
> difficult to crack protection scheme. Even the DES
> or RSA ways with
> nothing more would be like travelling over the seas
> in a Zepplin just
> token out from its museum... This kind of fly would,
> probably, in many
> cases, become very dangerous and not only under the
> windows platform ;)

So, DES and RSA alone are not safe anymore?
With so many brains working toward a goal
this is comprensible.

Does exist an internet site that keeps records
of the time taken to take down different hardware
or software protection schemes?

I remember that an Israeli institute was accused
of breaking and distributing the code of a competitor.
It was something related to cable or satellite
signals.

> Mainly, the method had to do with splitting the app
> in two parts
[snip]

Interesting explanation!
Have you implemented something more secure
than this scheme?

Thanks again for your insights!

> Do you have any web
> docs entry points
> to share about streaming QT/MP4 contents in a "one
> to many" sheme,
> runnable in IPV4, without having to send a different
> stream to each
> conected user, something like binding the IPV6
> broadcast address witch
> could work in IPV4 mode ?... IPV6 is so great, as
> dream ;)

In the internet, there is an interesting project
named : PeerCast.

http://www.peercast.org/

Until now, i've used only Real Audio to stream music.
Later this year, i'll experiment with Flash movies.

Keep Up your good work, Pierre. :-)

al

=====
Visit my site: