Screen Resolution

Mark Talluto revlists at canelasoftware.com
Fri May 7 19:15:55 EDT 2004

On May 7, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Ken Norris wrote:

>> Don't do it.  I *hate* programs that mess with my screen resolution.
>> I've got a 17" screen and I don't want to see *anything* at 800 x 600!
>> Also there are a lot of LCDs (laptops, flat-panels, etc.) that don't
>> support many resolutions well or at all, and you could leave the
>> screen
>> in a state that makes it illegible or unusable.

I am not sure I remember the exact reason for this topic.  I think
someone wanted to do it for a game.  This is a very common practice for
game developers.  In particular, first person shooters do this a lot.
You can really push the frame rates up with lower resolutions screens.
Being a gamer myself, I am not at all bothered by the action as long as
the resolution goes back to normal after the game is quit.  If indeed
this feature request was for a game, then it is quite valid.

Applications users on the other would not tolerate this.  This would be
do to users wanting to use the maximum resolution for work that their
eyes can handle.  Speed of execution is not an issue in this situation.
  I have yet to find a need for an application to adjust my resolution
for me.  I can do that just fine from the OS.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto