Disabling popup menu items

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Jun 29 23:17:28 EDT 2004

>It seems that option menus behave differently between OSX and Windows.
>Leading a line with "(" on OSX disables the line for the menu, yet on
>Windows it just leads the line with it.
>
>If you have an option menu on Windows, do you generally disable the
>item programmatically? e.g.
>
>disable menuItem 3 of button "myOptionMenu"
>
>Rather than with some leading character?

I believe there is no support for disabling menuItems in option and combo
box menus on Windows (I think this is only on MacOS). It's either a HIG or
API issue. Whichever it is it's the same reason there's no support for
submenus on these buton styles on non-MacOS systems.

Is it possible to just set the text of the button to valid options. This
seems simpler for the user too. I've seen users spend considerable time
trying to work out why something is disabled when it was completely logical
from an application design perspective.

Cheers

Monte