Another Revolution Success Story

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Jun 28 21:35:05 EDT 2004

>> A physician in our area had a need for an application which could
>> easily import patient data from a text file (multiple rows of
>> comma-delineated data).  It was a simple task, using Revolution, to
>> open the file and read the data to a field.  Subsequently a "model"
>> card was cloned and the appropriate data sent to various fields on
>> each card. Over a thousand records were created this way in a few
>> minutes.The only stumbling block involved my forgetting that a
>> standalone cannot modify itself.  No matter though; I merely created
>> an invisible "starter app" that immediately opened a data stack in
>> the data folder.
>> The application works "as advertised".
>> The doctor was impressed that it was possible to do this in a few
>> hours!
>
> String handling apps DO seem to be Rev's forte.

Speaking which, thought I'd share this one as another positive piece:
for my current project I needed to do a large data conversion over the
weekend. SQL database to new, upgrade, totally incompatible new
database. About 50,000 records over 20 tables, some 50+ foreign key
constraints translated to about 50 new tables. Using off-the-top of my
head scripts in a Rev stack riddled with fields full of conversion
tables, it was real dirty, but it worked- and the entire system was
converted and proofed in a weekend by 2 people. And the rules were
icky, along the lines of:

"Maintain the order of records in the old system which alphabetized
things in the software, but makes no record of it in the database"

"Delete records that contain the word XXX, and oh, there are probably a
few typos"

"Change the 3-level structure to N-levels, where anything with the
words XXX or YYY means that it belongs under the previous record
containing ZZZ... and by previous we mean the aforementioned 'order'".

Etc- new fields, new relationships, new constants, re-created keys,
yeck, yeck, yeck...

  I NEVER would have been able to do it in any other language that I
know of - kudos!

- Brian