Small difficulty with altBrowser stack

Warren warren at howsoft.com
Sat Jun 26 15:39:48 EDT 2004

My question about altBrowser is really directed at Chipp Walters, but I have
decided to share it with the List not only so that others may benefit from
the answers, but also with the idea that other colleagues might have some
valuable input to offer.

Last night, I acquired the altBrowser from Altuit and was highly satisfied
with it. I am a refugee from the recently-abandoned VB6, so naturally the
first things I have interest in achieving in Revolution are those which
correspond to what I already know and use. One such facility is the ability
to truly embed a browser of any size/position  in a window (or "stack"),
with or without controls such as navigation in the display history, refresh,
menus, etc. Just as Chipp said, this is all perfectly possible using the
altBrowser DLL. I might add that this is probably no mean achievement.

However, I have the following difficulty. I have tried using the altBrowser
stack with dll in Windows XP and Windows ME in Revolution 2.2.1 (which I
understand is a bit buggy) and also in Revolution 2.2 (which is said to be
less buggy). If I load the altBrowser stack, the context menus (called by
using the right mouse button) no longer work anywhere. Even if I load a new
second stack, the menus do not appear, but if I remove the altBrowser stack,
the menus work. In practice, this means that in the Application Browser for
example, I cannot test the altBrowser (or any other stack for that matter)
modelessly. However, if I compile a standalone of the original stack or even
a hacked-about version (with missing controls), it works perfectly. I might
add that if I insist too much by clicking with the right mouse button on
various things to get the context menu to appear somewhere, Revolution
freezes up on me.

There is obviously a conflict somewhere. Could it have to do with the fact
(?) that the dll uses the Metacard engine or something?