What is the difference between a ' and a " ?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Jun 26 01:02:00 EDT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 12:33 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> > Oh man, that would be great... I thought maybe too much to ask.
>
> Working with explicitVars on should catch those circumstances, as
> unquoted strings will be assumed to be vars and if not declared will
> throw a compilation error.

To be honest, I don't prefer to declare my variables unless there scope
is something more than handler level, that is too much like RealBasic.
I just want all unquoted strings to be variables, or throw an error. It
is the unquoted string literals that kill me. Those, and the quoted
variable names (which are required on occasion) you get both of those
instances in a single script and you wonder if gravity is going to give
out too.

Personally, I quote my strings. But if something goes wrong in my
coding (I introduce a bug), Rev is just as happy to keep on going as
though it was all good... and then turn around and throw me an unquoted
literal exception of some kind which is completely bogus, in a
different script which doesn't have anything of the kind.

Transcript is sort of the wild west of coding, anything goes, there are
few rules to adhere to, but lots of bear traps laying around that will
catch you when you least expect it. But... it's powerful too. No
question there.

Makes the wild west a great place to visit, but I don't tend to like
staying too long. I prefer the stability of something on say... version
10.  ;-)
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.