What is the difference between a ' and a " ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Jun 25 22:50:25 EDT 2004

I've just spent a long time puzzling over a stupid bug of mine.

I had written something like

   put (numToChar( charToNum('a') + something)

not knowing that 'a' is different from "a"

But even now that I know it, I can't find anything in the documents to
explain what 'a' does mean.

Any clues for me, please ?

I suspect this will be a common mis-type for me in the first couple of
months - so any way to make single quotes cause an error/warning would be
helpful.

Thanks
-- Alex Tweedly.