Euro symbol woes

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 19 12:14:21 EDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:17:26 -0700, Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:

>[snip]
>
>BTW, how does one type it in the first place?  I've cut & pasted it
>from other text.

Here in Europe on Windows, the Euro symbol apparently corresponds to
Unicode 20AC (I was until just now unaware that I was using Unicode on
these machines!). I find that Alt+CTRL+4 produces the symbol on both the
French and UK editions of XP Home.

On my Mac (running MacOS 9.2.2) it's Option+2, and within MS Word it's
stated to be "Times character 219 (Unicode character 8364)" - 8354 turns
out to be the decimal version of Hex 20AC.

A final point is that of course you have to have a font with a Euro symbol,
which maybe US machines don't always have.

Sorry this probably doesn't help much. But at least the code should be right.

Graham