Trying to use the metaphor

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Jun 18 13:07:32 EDT 2004

Rev's "Cards and stack" metaphor can be traced though a long history of
stack-based programming. For those of us not entirely familiar with its
idiosyncrasies, in can be a bit "unfamiliar."

For instance, I have a stack of cards, some to be kept, some discarded.
In the processing of my program, I decided to try to "work within the
metaphor."

I started by marking all the cards (??).
I then worked with my data a bit, all the while "unmarking cards" to be
kept. My thinking was that the system would allow me to "delete marked
cards" at the end of the cycle. I stupidly thought that "delete marked
cards" would work.

Which, of course, I haven't seemed to be able to make it do. I feel
elementary when I have to ask, how does one delete all the marked cards
in a stack? Frustrations like this will send OOP experienced
programmers running from this environment.

The syntax and metaphor may seem "easy" to some, but to me it creates
MANY more hurdles than the logic flow of my program, which is pretty
sophisticated. I get errors like "bad grammar" and "sloppy handwriting"
and "late for class" thrown at me all the time. I feel like a child
that didn't bring in his homework when this stuff comes up.

But, I endeavor to persevere. Is there a better technique than what
I've described? Failing that, how does one delete all the marked cards
in a stack?
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.