Pending messages

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jun 17 19:21:53 EDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 6:40 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> At my web site is a primer on what I call "message mechanics".  It
> covers some of these issues.  Look here:
>
>      http://www.swcp.com/dsc/revstacks.html
>
> This primer does not require you to build anything, but it does have
> lots of examples.

Thanks again Dar, probably just what I'm looking for. I come from
languages (Director mostly, but also Flash and Quicktime) which are
very "time driven." Revolution's user event model is powerful, but when
_time_ is the primary event, and the program needs to operate
completely independently of user interaction as well as be at the
command of the user, it can feel a bit limited. "Send" is powerful, but
its syntax model could be a bit better, and management of pending
messages could be a little more robust. Given that my program is one of
these time-driven, callback-based animals, I have to work past these
apparent limits and come up with some somewhat "out of context"
solutions.

I'll check your example stacks for some tips and pointers.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.