socket and serial port

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jun 16 21:40:52 EDT 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 6:47 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> DS> The rts=on and dtr=off are unusual.
>
> DS> I suspect the weather station is using those to provide the
> voltages
> DS> for its transmit line.  Maybe it is using those for all power.
>
> Or, as in x10, it is maybe using rts and dtr for a handshaking
> protocol.

I made an assumption.

This is the way I understand the handshaking settings (based on Windows
mode info):

octs=on          The computer looks at the CTS line (input) to control
data output.
odsr=on          The computer looks at the DSR line (input) to control
output.
dtr=on/off       The computer sets the DTR line (output) to the fixed
value.
dtr=hs           The computer flips the DTR line as needed to control
data input.
rts=on/off/hs    Like DTR
rts=tg           Use for RS485 control; RTS is on only then transmitting
idsr=on          Ignore input characters that come in while DSR
(input=power on) is off.

I assumed the SerialControlString was the same way.

Note that on some of these "on" means handshaking and on some "on"
means fixed on.

I assumed that (as in the Windows mode control) rts=on means on solid,
but the coder of the serial routines might have assumed otherwise.

Even so, it is strange to _require_ that dtr=off.

Dar Scott