Remote alerts

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Tue Jun 15 15:05:32 EDT 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 12:00 AM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> I have an application that monitors multiple temperature sensors,
> setting off alarms if any of them go outside their required
> parameters. This is fine locally as I can have an audible and visual
> alarm, but now I'm working on what happens when something goes wrong
> in the middle of the night!
>
> There are various methods, both active and passive, that have occurred
> to me, but I was hoping that some of you could come up with more ideas
> or methods.
>
> Passive: web site, email (no problems here, just they reply on people
> checking)
> Active: SMS, telephone call, some other brilliant idea?
>
> Here is where my problems really begin. I haven't an idea how to do
> SMS (text messages) and while I know how to make a modem ring a phone
> number, how do I respond when the phone is answered? Is it possible to
> play a recorded sound, or use the speech commands to speak down the
> phone line?

SMS is easy. The SMS address also has an internet email address. For
example
5105551212 at messaging.sprintpcs.com
would deliver an email to a cell phone via SMS

If you want to call and play a sound, I suggest you get something like
Phlink. It will do exactly what you want on Mac OS X. You can have it
call and do a text to speech message and wait for some touchtone
response (or start calling other people).

Kee Nethery