CAUSE OF CRASH - was not the group items at all

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 15 11:30:07 EDT 2004

Bill wrote:
> Anyway -- the cause of crash -- There are 100 fields on the card and 20 of
> them are off the bottom edge. I choose select all, copy all, make a new
> card, go to that card and then everything freezes (there is no spinning
> beach ball and no indication that the program has not crashed). If you wait
> like 10 minutes the freeze goes away but then if you choose paste, nothing
> pastes. So I try copying just 10 of the fields, one of which is off the
> bottom edge. When I do this -- it takes a very long time to go to the next
> card and the paste works although the field that was off the edge of the
> card pastes into the middle of the card.

I wonder if there may be other factors at play giving rise to the crash.
  Copying objects is common enough that it would be odd (though not
impossible) for the number of objects alone to be the factor.  Also, the
time reported for the smaller number of objects seems long, suggesting
that it's possibly not a solution but simply evidencing the same issue
only on a smaller scale.

Also, have you considered using the "copy <obj> to <obj>" form?

For example, you could write:

   copy fld 1 to stack "Printing Stack"

...and it copies the object without involving the Clipboard. Not only
does it preserve the user's Clipboard but it would likely take less
overhead and may give you an error-free solution (fingers crossed).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation