Alpha Channel?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 11 09:41:31 EDT 2004

"Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com> writes:

> I wrote:
> > Eh?  When I insert an image into MS Word, crop it and/or
> > resize it, and then quit or go to another document or
> > something, when I come back the image is the same size as I
> > left it.  Only in RR have I seen images revert to the
> > original size when you leave the document (or card) and then
> > return to it.
>
> Actually, Marty, the main difference is that Rev only "locks" the new size
> of the image when you specifically ask it to, whereas Word locks the new
> size of the image automatically. In both cases, the "original size" version
> is still available to get to, but Rev requires an extra step. So for example
> if Rev automatically set the lockLoc on the image after you resized it,
> you'd get the same behavior as in Word.

Not really: in Word you don't have to unlock an image to
move it or resize it again.

> Personally, I think that the lockLoc property is doing double-duty when
> there should really be a different property altogether. If we has something
> like the "hScale" and "vScale" of an image, and have Rev not resize the
> image to its 100% size unless another graphic were inserted into the image
> (new 'filename'), and left the lockLoc alone so it could truly be used for
> locking the ability to resize or move the object, then we'd get closer to
> what *I* would expect as 'expected behavior'.

Although I understand the current behavior, it is really awkward
and drives my students nuts.  Every time they want to move or
resize an image they first have to unlock it, and then remember to
lock it when they're done.  These are 8th graders; the easier the
interface the better.

The current behavior makes one of my beginning assignments, a
flip-card animation, really tedious to do.  (I'm reluctant to
give up the assignment, as it's how I introduce loops.)

Now if there were a control key that you could hold down that would
override the lock as you click and drag on an object or its handles,
that would solve the problem.  (RR, are you listening???)

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools