Displaying Foreign Web Pages

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Jun 11 07:41:24 EDT 2004

Hi Troy

I did indeed try :

set the unicodeText of field "field 1" to URL "binfile:c:\temp\google.htm"

but all I get is little boxes instead of characters.  Today I tried a
different tack.  Since pasting from the clipboard at least managed to get
the non-Roman characters displayed inside Rev, I tried to use the
clipboard as a container:

put URL "http://www.google.co.th" into it
set the clipBoardData["Unicode"] to it
put the clipBoardData["Unicode"] into field "field 1"

But the characters that are put into the field are just the same mix of
Roman character gibberish instead of Thai.

I had a look on a Win2K machine I have lying around, and that web page was
displayed in Thai ok, and I could again copy the HTML source from Mozilla
and paste it into a field in Rev, and the Thai characters again came over
with the HTML.  However, when I try to move the mixture of Roman and
non-Roman characters within Rev, I am having the same problems as before.

There seems to be no way that Rev can read a mixture of Roman and
non-Roman characters on the same web page.  The only way Rev seems to be
able to handle non-Roman characters is if they are pasted in from another
application.  This surely can't be right.  Or am I fundamentally mistaken
about what it means for Rev to support Unicode?  I'm really stumped by
this.  I hope the simple examples (in my initial email on this subject)
could be tried by a few of those who are more attuned with Rev
text-manipulation than me (especially since on Windows machines it does
not even look like you need to have any additional language facilities
installed in order to view the foreign characters on pages like
www.google.co.th).

In case others think this is a rather abstruse exercise - let me just
point out that China and Japan offer huge markets for your applications,
and if you design them so that the presentation is separate from the
logic, being able to import a different language into the presentation
brings these huge markets one step closer to you.

Regards,
Bernard Devlin

Troy Rollins <troy at rpsystems.net>
Sent by: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com