HOLY COW, BATMAN!!!

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jun 10 16:06:55 EDT 2004

No turning back now... ;-)

just fyi, most of us rev users would consider 25 seconds
  to process 140 lines of text as very slow...

Of course I never use progress bars. I've processed 2meg files of raw
text mailing lists
(loaded into a variable of  course -- close to 20M lines) doing similar
"clean ups"
of empty lines and other garbage... in under 5 seconds.

And, yes, several of us  also fell out of our chairs the first time we
saw this.

  I wonder if the replace (cr& cr) with cr would be even faster?

I'm interested because I'm about to embark on a major text re-purposing
job here... where I will be loaded a series of  files one after another
and then executing the code and writing out the data again to the same
file (copies of originals)