Can I save stack when called from stub application?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jun 9 18:07:06 EDT 2004

Recently, "RGould8 at aol.com"  wrote:

> I've got a very tiny "stub launcher" Revolution application that does a:
>
> on openCard
>  go to stack URL
> "http://area51.myofficenetwork.com/FTP/Studio_Review/Scheduler.rev"
> end openCard
>
> I've saved that application as a Standalone app for Mac OS X.   It works
> great.   Now if my "Scheduler.rev" app that gets sublaunched off of a server
> has a
> button in it that does a:
>
> on mouseUp
>     save this stack
> end mouseUp
>
> Shouldn't that save the Scheduler.rev app with any data that was changed?
> It's not working for me.
>
> The docs for SAVE state:
>
> You cannot save to a standalone application's file; standalones are
> read-only.
>
> However, I'm not saving the standalone application's file (that was the
> launcher app) - - I'm actually saving the file that got sublaunched _from_
> that
> standalone application.

If I understand your question, the issue is how you are accessing the
scheduler stack.  When you use "go stack url..." you are loading the
net-based stack into a local cache which is not a physical file on your
drive that can be saved.

A better route would be to first load the net-stack into a new file on your
drive and then open that local file for executing/saving.  Like:

  put url "http://myServer/myStack.rev" into \
    url ("binfile:" & pathtonewlocalstack & "/stackName.rev")

Note that the above will only save the stack locally; in order to save the
drive back on the server, you need to FTP the local stack back to the
server, which can be done from Rev but requires your server login info.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design