error message anomalies, anyone?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 8 19:59:57 EDT 2004

Hey Bernard -

Good to see you here.

> I'm not sure what I want to hear - that I am the only one who has
> experienced this radical bugginess, or that it is so widely experienced
> that something will be done about it!

I believe that RR has demonstrated a willingness to listen to and act on
these issues, as evidenced in the daily assault on Bugzilla.  In the
last several weeks I've seen a good many of my bug reports knocked off
one by one, at a rate that speaks very well for future releases.

In fact, I'm told the issue that prompted this thread has also been
addressed, so the only question is whether we'll have to wait for the
next version to see it addressed or whether an interim release may
become possible.

In all honesty, while this erroneous error code issue has been a
frequent topic on the MC list, the folks here have rarely mentioned it.
  That's why I made the post today, to get a feel for its scope.  Now
that folks are speaking up we can realize that it affects all Transcript
users regardless of which IDE they're using (sensible enough, since the
issue was in the engine), and such information can be useful in helping
RunRev make good decisions.

Along these lines, a request for anyone experiencing any bug:  Please
vote for the issues that are most important to you.  Bugzilla takes only
a moment to set up an account, and is well worth it.  RunRev has taken
the nearly unprecedented move of having a transparently democratic
system to help guide priorities.  I believe there is great wisdom in in
seeking open counsel like that, but like any democratic system it only
reflects the desires of stakeholders to the degree that they vote.

Taking the time to review bugs and vote on them is also an interesting
exercise for another reason:  when you do it weekly you get a feel for
just how many of these issues get resolved.  With a product as complex
as Rev no one can expect blue-ribbon code every day, but I think the
commitment the team is demonstrating is quite commendable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation