Not Shy...

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 17:02:17 EDT 2004

Hi Bob -

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <bobnelson at mac.com>
To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 1:18 PM
Subject: Not Shy...

--- snip ---

> Here's what I noticed about execution:
>
> 1.  Importing the URL is awesome - a great feature that makes my life
soooo
> much easier for this project!  And fast, too!
> 2.  The page I grabbed consisted of 140,000 lines of code.  After removing
> extra line feeds, the number of lines is around 80,000.

You might consider changing your approach so you can take advantage of Rev's
power. (Some changes would also help in HC - for example, use variables
instead of fields as the place where you change data.) But anyway, you could
do this:

  -- put field into variable for improved performance
  put fld "Imported_Raw" into vRawText

  -- get rid of empty lines
  repeat while (cr & cr is in vRawText)
    replace (cr & cr) with cr in vRawText
  end repeat

> 3.  This script runs VERY slow, compared to relatively the same script in
> HyperCard running under 9.2.1 -- as an example, Revolution has been
running
> this script for more than 18 hours and still hasn't finished processing.
> (And that's running on a Dual 2 GHz, 4 Gb RAM, OS X most current version
> with all updates.)  Under HC, the similar script executed in about an
hour -
> running on an iMac G3/233 with 1 Gb and OS 9.2.1 -- any comments regarding
> execution speed?

Check out Ken Ray's optimization tips:
   http://sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm#Tips

There are others on the list who have info like this too - I could only
think of Ken's offhand.

> 4.  I don't see any mechanisms for determining progress of the
operation --
> although I may have certainly missed something.  Are there any progress
> bars, etc., that one can use in Revolution?

You can use a scrollbar. Read all about it in the Rev docs.

I'll leave the other items (below) for someone else.

Phil Davis