Capabilities: RTF editing, Graphs, flat-file database - valentina

Rodney Tamblyn rodney at oceanbrowser.com
Tue Jun 8 08:11:21 EDT 2004

> Simply on the basis that as a full-featured RDBMS it is a very complex
> bit of kit and vastly over-specified for this particular requirement.
> And Paradigma don't promote it as an embedded engine on their website:
> they focus on the speed. Paradigma themselves say that data corruption
> can occur if the host computer crashes:
>
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com/faq/kernel.html#safe_data
>
> Crashing is a not-unusual occurrence on Windoze! An RDBMS designed for
> embedded use would use a technique such as journaling to self-recover
> from such a crash.

I've never experienced a data corruption of a Valentina database and
I've been using it for several years now across several product
releases.  Sure it could happen, but I guess at this level the same
could be said of a Revolution stack (if Windows crashed at the precise
moment Revolution was saving the stack).   All this being said,
Valentina may be excessive for your requirements.  I just wanted to
make clear that in my experience the data safety issue you describe is
not something I would be particuarly concerned about in a real world
setting.

Rodney