Capabilities: RTF editing, Graphs, flat-file database

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jun 7 15:29:52 EDT 2004

> I'm evaluating Revolution for an upcoming project. It seems
> to be maturing into an exciting product, but I'm not entirely
> sure it can do everything I need.
>
> 1) I am going to need a simple Rich Text edit box, with user
> control of fonts, point-sizes, text colour, inline images, bullets.
>
> 2) I am going to need runtime graphs and charts: they will be
> simple but they have to look good.
>
> 3) I am going to need a rock-solid embedded flat-file data
> store that can handle up to 60,000 records and be searched on
> multiple keys. It must require no separate installation or
> user maintenance.
>
> Ideally, these features could be built to work on all
> platforms from the same codebase.
>
> Can this be done in Revolution?

In short, "yes". In specific:

1) Fields automatically support fonts, sizes, styles, colors, inline images;
bullets are a little tricky as a field does not have paragraph-level
indents, so if the bulleted text can wrap to the left margin (although the
bullet itself is indented), then you're OK.

2) Runtime graphs and charts are very doable and there are a couple of free
charting libraries available to help you build them.

3) You have a number of choices on data storage; you can use internal
card-based storage (basically one "card" per record in a stack that holds
all the cards; search across the cards for what you want), or you can use a
number of DBMSes (Valentina, PostgreSQL, mySQL, etc.).

If you have any more questions, let us know,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/