Where to store read/write files on multi-user systems

Paolo Mazza mazzapaolo at libero.it
Sat Jun 5 03:19:09 EDT 2004

Thanks Trevor,
it is fine - I can use shell command.
But given the fact that both MAC OS X and WINDOWS XP are multi-user
systems,   I think Revolution should take into consideration this point
and set an option  on the "Build standalone" panel  for multi-user
application.
I think it would be a very useful feature  for the next release of
Revolution.

Your suggestions would be a good start, and I think they are consistent
with standard procedures both for MAC OS X and for WINDOWS XP. I do not
know for the other systems.

Windows XP/2000
* User specific preference files (4 in my list above)- C:/Documents and
Settings/USERNAME/Application Data/MYAPP
specialFolderPath(26)
* Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- C:/Documents and
Settings/All Users/Application Data/MYAPP
specialFolderPath(35)

Mac OS X
* User specific preference files (4)-
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/MYAPP
specialFolderPath("pref")
* Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- /Users/Shared/MYAPP
specialFolderPath("sdat")

SET PERMISSIONS

get shell("chmod 666 " &quote& MY_FILE_PATH &quote)

Ciao Paolo Mazza