Where to store read/write files on multi-user systems

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Jun 4 18:39:42 EDT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 3:47 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:
> Le 4 juin 04, à 16:19, Trevor DeVore a écrit :
>
>> Scenario:
>> An application which consists of the following parts -
>> 1) Revolution executable
>> 2) Revolution stack for storing global user information (read/write)
>> 3) Valentina Database (read/write)
>> 4) Revolution stack for storing user preferences (read/write)
>>
> Hello Trevor,
>
> In my idea, the most secure way to get your project up would be to set
> up this all as a work for Apache + a TCP sockets driven application
> server (coded in Rev, Python or Java) connected to an ACID compliant
> database server (PostgreSQL, FireBird, Sybase, Oracle,...) where the
> Rev's client-side apps would have to act as  browsers of the
> server-side stuff. Any other way will need lots more coding for less
> usable results (availaibility, concurrents accesses, TCO).

Pierre,

This particular application is an interactive training title that will
be distributed on CD-ROM for the moment but will eventually be embedded
on medical hardware.  The revolution stacks I'm using for data storage
allow people using the program to set up multiple users and track the
number of lessons they have completed.

It isn't multi-user in the sense that multiple people will access the
program at once but in the fact different users of the same PC could
access the program.

Example -
The administrator will install the application on a Windows XP machine
in the C:/Program Files directory.  Bob logs in (Bob doesn't have
administrator rights so he can't write to the C:/Program Files
directory) and uses the program.  In order for Bob to save his progress
in the lessons on the computer the revolution stack that stores this
information needs to be in a area where everyone can read/write files.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com