FTP problem to Name Based Virtual Server Web Site

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Jun 4 18:19:34 EDT 2004

Dave, you got it... Thank you!

> With ftp://dave:pass@192.168.123.7/../../, I get a listing of the root
> volume.

works...

and

put url
"ftp://jiva%40hheonline.org:password@55.55.55.55/../../var/www/
formdata/guestbook.dat"

pulls down the data...

see below.

libURL is just fine ;-)

case closed.

On Jun 4, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> At 7:09 pm -1000 3/6/04, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:
>

>> Ok here we go with logs:
>>
>> ftp://jiva%40hheonline.org:password@55.55.55.555//home/jiva/
>> mainwebsite_html/
>>
> [snip]

> What happens when you you get the same url but with a single slash
> instead of a double slash? I'm guessing you will get the same result.

right, same result

> Similarly, what happens in Rev when you get the same url, but with a
> single slash? Again, I'm guessing you will get the same.
>

>> == back to interarchy:
>>
>> ftp://jiva%40hheonline.org:password@555.55.55.55//

right, same result

> Again, do you get something different from Interarchy when you use a
> single slash?

right, same result... I always get thrown back to the USER home
directory...

> Here is a quick summary of how libUrl constructs the paths it uses in
> calls to an ftp server.
>
> [snip]
>
> If the current working directory doesn't match the path in the url,
> then libUrl prepends the current working diectory to the path in the
> url. So, for example, if I call
> ftp://dave:pass@192.168.123.7/Documents libUrl will also get a listing
> of /Users/dave/Documents.
>
> I may be wrong, but I think this is how it should be.

Yes, probably so. I don't know much about these virtual
servers-domains. When we got our new managed server I didn't expect,
upon "create name based site" that it would generate an entire virtual
server... "web sites on steroids"  It's a model for those who are
selling web space, which we are not...  But I can see the advantages
from a security point of view... it means I could delegate content
management for a particular site to a remote user and he can really do
much to my server, so that's a good thing. and locking in FTP call to a
particular web site on the server must be what this is all about

> If you want to climb back up the file hierarchy, you can use "../".
>
> For example, ftp://dave:pass@192.168.123.7/../ will return a listing
> of the /Users directory.
>
> With ftp://dave:pass@192.168.123.7/../../, I get a listing of the root
> volume.