Player doesn't play complete file

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jun 4 11:24:57 EDT 2004

Forgive me if this is has already been discussed; I don't remember
reading about it.

Recipe:
1. Create a player object.
2. Set the fileName prop to a URL with a QT compatible audio format. In
this case I used
"http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/russian/audio/norvegiya.wav".
3. Play the sound.

The sound file appears not to download fully. The download indicator in
the controller bar does not fill completely, and the sound plays to the
point indicated as having downloaded, then stops. This happens
consistently, even if I reload. Setting the alwaysBuffer prop to true
or false makes no difference.

If I use
   play URl "http://www.auburn.edu/forlang/russian/audio/norvegiya.wav"
it works perfectly, but of course if I do this I'm limited to using
only uncompressed audio.

Has anyone else encountered this apparent problem with player objects?

(Rev 2.2. Mac OS X 10.3.4, DP G5)

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University