Where to store read/write files on multi-user systems

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Jun 4 10:19:52 EDT 2004

Scenario:
An application which consists of the following parts -
1) Revolution executable
2) Revolution stack for storing global user information (read/write)
3) Valentina Database (read/write)
4) Revolution stack for storing user preferences (read/write)

Problem:
Where is the best place to store files with different requirements?
Some should be read/writable by just the user, others by every user who
uses your application.

Here is what I have come up with and I am looking for feedback on this
(more appropriate place to store things, etc.).  These use folders
which are accessible using specialFolderPath or are located where the
application was installed by the user.

Windows XP/2000
* User specific preference files (4 in my list above)- C:/Documents and
Settings/USERNAME/Application Data/MYAPP
specialFolderPath(26)
* Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- C:/Documents and
Settings/All Users/Application Data/MYAPP
specialFolderPath(35)

Windows 98/ME
* User specific preference files (4)- C:/WINDOWS/Application Data/MYAPP
specialFolderPath(26)
* Everything else- C:/Program Files/MYAPP (basically the location where
the user installs the app)

Mac OS X
* User specific preference files (4)-
/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/MYAPP
specialFolderPath("pref")
* Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- /Users/Shared/MYAPP
specialFolderPath("sdat")

Mac OS 9
* User specific preference files (4)- OS 9:System Folder/Preferences
specialFolderPath("pref")
* Shared files writable by everyone (2 and 3)- Location where
application is installed.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia