html

Springer, Paul paul.springer at sensis.com
Wed Jun 2 16:26:47 EDT 2004

You may notice that I have asked about this topic before. Sorry to be dense
but I am still struggling; I think I am missing something fundamental in my
understanding of the htmlText property.

What I want to be able to do is something like this (to get a dialog box
with bold text in it (or some other appropriate formatting)):

answer "<b>This is the answer!</b>"

This displays the answer dialog unformatted, with the tags.

I tried using a field:

set the htmlText of fld "theFld" to "<b>This is the answer!</b>"

answer the htmlText of fld "theFld"

This displays the formatted text in the field, but not the dialog box, the
dialog box gets the literal tags..

I tried:

set the htmlText of fld "theFld" to "<b>This is the answer!</b>"

answer fld "theFld"

This gives some other undesirable result that I have now forgotten.

The documentation gives my hope when is says the following (under the
description for Answer):

Comments:

The prompt can be either formatted text (in the htmlText property's format)
or plain text. If the prompt contains <p> or a start/end tag pair, the
answer command assumes the text is in the same format as the htmlText
property. Otherwise, the answer command assumes the text is plain text.

I just seem to be missing something essential; in the context of this
comment the words about "the htmlText property" are ambiguous. The "htmlText
property" of what? The answer dialog? How do I set that?

If anyone can follow what I am trying to ask, and knows what key concept I
am missing, please let me know. Thanks.

-Paul